Chocolate Chip Cookies? Yes. Sea Salt with dark chocolate? Always. Stuffed with Nutella? Are you kidding me?
This may be the best combo ever… and they taste as good as they sound. Healthy? No but in a new world of green juices, chia puddings and super food salads, sometimes you need a gooey nutella-stuffed-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookie. And they’re super easy to make – score!
Part of what I love about these cookies is that from browning the butter first (making a beurre noisette), you get a really nutty caramel flavour in the cookies which is so delicious with the Nutella (although what isn’t delicious with Nutella?!). I’m usually more of a savoury girl so the addition of sea salt as well is perfect. Warning: they are ridiculously addictive!
Note – to make them extra good, you should chill the cookie dough mixture for at least 2 hours in the fridge before baking, so you need to factor in that time. You can chill in the freezer for 30 mins instead but I wouldn’t advise it as they don’t come out quite as well. You need *some* chill time as otherwise if you put warm cookie dough straight into the oven, you get those really annoying thin, crispy spread out cookies, when really for these, you want the chunky gooey kind… plus extra chill time means extra marinating = even yummier and chewier cookies. If the dough is too hard when you take it out, leave it to thaw for 20 mins. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (in both cups and grams) for approx. 24 cookies
- 2 1/4 cup / 288g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup / 225g unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup / 275g packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup / 50g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 jar of Nutella, chilled in refrigerator from the night before (easier to scoop out)
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Put the Nutella in the fridge from the night before – make it easier to scoop out.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. The butter will begin to foam – keep whisking! It will eventually begin to turn brown at the bottom – keeeeep whisking! Then remove from heat as soon as you start to get a nutty smell.. Immediately transfer the butter to a bowl to prevent burning. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Beat the butter and both sugars with an electric whisk or KitchenAid until they’ve blended. Beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined. Gently fold in all of the chocolate chips.
5. This is the time to chill your dough for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C / 350 degrees F. Once dough is chilled measure about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball.
7. Flatten the dough ball very thinly into the palm of your hand.
8. Place 1 teaspoon of chilled Nutella in the middle and fold dough around it.
9. Gently roll into a ball Make sure that the Nutella is not seeping out of the dough. Add more dough if necessary.
9. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and flatten with your hand VERY gently. (Really only the tops need to be flattened a bit!)
10. Bake the cookies 9-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. They will look a bit underdone in the middle, but will continue to cook once out of the oven. Cool the cookies on the sheets at least 2 minutes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Remove the cooled cookies from the baking sheets after a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
original recipe: http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/nutella-stuffed-brown-butter-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookies-my-favorite-cookie-ever/